Sunday, March 20, 2011

I is for Isolation

One of the reasons I haven't been posting much lately is I've felt really isolated. I don't want anyone to think I'm depressed over this, I'm not. I just haven't felt like I've found many of my kind of people here in S. Korea. So, I guess this post is really more about the fact that I miss the people I love to be around.

South Korea is a lovely country. Its countrymen are by and large generous, hospitable people. I find that they are stand offish with strangers and reluctant to befriend you or make commitments to you of time. This has made getting to know South Koreans a bit difficult. Thus, my pool of South Korean friends is limited to non-existent.

Then there is the population of foreigners here. They come from all areas of English speakers; America, Canada, England, Ireland, Scotland, South Africa, and even India. For the most part, they are genuinely good people. They are kind, generous, open and fun to hang out with. Most of them are also pretty into the late night party scene, which is great for them, but not really my thing. I miss having a circle of friends to talk with, go to a play with, and explore something with.  So, to all my lovely and wonderful friends in Washington, Idaho, and dotted about the globe, I miss you tons, even if you don't get a post on Facebook saying so. I genuinely long for some good company here, which I have found in my two good friends, but I need more of them. I will work on getting out more.

2 comments: